YOG 2010. The experience of a lifetime. It all began with an email from hall, calling out for volunteers who can speak more than just English and mother tongue. With the ability to speak Japanese and German, albeit limited, I thought this role was made for me. There, I signed up and never looked back.
First, it was the CEP Seminar back in March. With no friends whatsoever, I was a little apprehensive initially but everyone was just so friendly and outgoing despite having already went on a first batch of cep training. Then came the Young Ambassadors (YAs) who were ever so nice and accommodating despite vast age differences (for some). Most memorable event for me was definitely HortPark (Sofia with her kungfu stances!) then funvee ride where we cheered “YOG” at bystander on the sidewalks, and the foodhunt where the YAs got to experience arguably the best side of Singapore, the food. It was extremely rewarding when I saw Danka had her first spoonful of watercress soup and nodded in approval. Also, there was the Chef de Mission dinner, my first formal dinner in my entire life. Herr Guth, my cdm, was really professional about his job (okay maybe a little too upright) but well that was why he was there in the first place. I’m glad that he valued my role as a CEP champion and gave me valuable feedback and insights of YOG. After the seminar, I certainly did not regret by decision one bit despite lagging behind academically.
Come games time. It wasn’t quite what we expected, considering the buzz and hype built up upon us CEP champions during the seminar but the takeaway from games was nonetheless great. My promotion of Culture and Education Programme began at the Marina Barrage. I was paired up with the track and field athletes from British Virgin Islands. Albeit a small NOC, they were very enthusiastic about CEP activities, signing up at every possible chance. Ms Stephanie, the CDM, was like the parental figure of the athletes (eg asking them not to play with their phones when the crappy bus host was ‘hosting’) One of the athletes included Jamal Alexander, this 100m sprinter who wore cute earrings of his name on both ears. Next up was Hortpark. There was the Italy gymnastic team with Carlotta (girl with pretty eyelashes!), Ludo and their coach Rino. There was also Petra, the Finnish wrestler who went to Hortpark on her own (how brave!)its good to see these kids being so fascinated by the sights of Singapore. Then came island adventure. Deutsche Jugend-Olympiamannschaft. Germany! That was where I got to know the rebellious boys like Ibu, Samir and Tahir, the taekwondo boys who were constantly rebelling against the obs instructor. There was also Laura (who looked anything but a wrestler) who fought against Petra! and Fabienne, the german shuttler. Tahir was the ultimate, who told the facil to stfu. Win! They ended up not taking part most of the activities. Then came one day when I bumped into them in the village and I decided to just follow them around. Then we made masks to scare people around the village. Boys being boys, they used this opportunity to pick up girls. Who would forget the clubbing night when the two guys got refused entry. But I’m glad the reverse bungee kept them occupied. Then the two guys got ‘lucky’ with two fat Indian girls while me pam and ibu camwhored at macs. It all ended when I bought the bakkwa as a farewell gift to danka. Hope she’s enjoying it now as I blog.
I’ve been going around saying that I will go germany next year but what if my application gets rejected? It will be really an experience of a lifetime being able to tour Europe and whats more, now that I have friends all over Europe. For now, all I can do is study hard and hope for the best. Thank God for this wonderful experience to make such wonderful athlete/YA friends along with the CEP champions. I certainly pray that I will fulfill my promise.
">